The word “brand” means many things to many people. In business, it is just as it sounds: it is the lasting impression businesses leave behind.
There are basically two types of brands:
1. Brands we can touch. (Goods)
2. Brands we experience. (Services)
Peter Drucker said the purpose of a business is to create a customer, which leaves us with two basic functions:
We market to two types of customers:
1. People. (Consumers)
2. Organizations. (Business-to-Business)
We innovate in order to “have and to hold” customers, which often require:
1. Glue. (Creating a sticky external layer)
2. Magnets. (Connecting from the inside)
People often see brands differently:
1. Brands that give back.
2. Brands that take.
The people behind these brands conscientiously choose to brand in one of two worlds:
1. The world they choose to see.
2. The world as it really is.
So, knowing this ... does your brand leave the world better than you found it, or not?